Dry Meat V Fresh Meat - Which Is Better For Your Dog?

The dry V fresh meat debate is one which we regularly get asked about here at Goood. With so much conflicting advice, we know it can be tricky to know what’s best for your favourite four-legged friend.  

Many manufacturers mask the truth about the meat content within their food which only adds to the confusion. 

So, read on below to find out the difference between fresh meat and dried meat, and what these mean for your dog. 

Did you know that fresh meat consists of, on average, 70% water? The majority of this water is removed by heat during the manufacturing process of dry food, leaving around 30% dry matter. This means the raw ingredients can be transported and stored in more environmentally friendly ways. 

Fresh meat means the ingredients have been weighed in their wet form, before they have been cooked. Yet, dried meat is weighed without water content, as this has already been removed. 

Therefore it can be summed up as: 1000g of fresh meat = 300g dried meat. 

The best formula to remember is: fresh meat % x 0.3 = dried meat %

In short, although it may look like the meat content in fresh meat products is higher, this is often not the case. 

Confusing we know. This is why we’re dedicated to being as transparent as possible about what we put into our dog food. Premium, quality meat and valuable animal proteins are the most important components of our pet food, which is why they make up to 90%.

Not only do we pride ourselves on being honest about the meat content of our products, but we’re also proud to only use free-range or organic meat and MSC-certified fish. Not only this, but our meat is not just delicious, the protein and energy content of our food is perfectly matched to the needs of puppies, young and adult dogs, of any size.